The Social Media landscape can be tough. As more and more brands are looking to outside agencies for help on these channels, it can be hard to know who to trust. Your Social presence is another outlet for your brand and needs to be carefully crafted. The agency you hire to take on your Social profiles needs to be trustworthy, competent and an extension of your team. As you’re evaluating your options, or taking a second look at the agency currently handling your Social accounts, it’s important that you’re comfortable with the people you’re working with, the results they’re generating and the manner in which they are running your program.
At E-Power Marketing, we have such a strong focus on transparency and customer service, that we’re always looking for the best possible strategies and solutions for each of our accounts . Through the years, we’ve been asked a lot of great questions and we understand how important it is to find the right fit for your brand. We’ve put together a list of some of the most important questions you can ask when you’re evaluating an agency for your brand’s Social Media program:
- Which Social channels should my brand be on? Be wary of any agency that tells you to be present on every Social channel. The fact is, your target audience isn’t everywhere, so you shouldn’t be investing resources everywhere. There are a few Social channels that the majority of brands will do well on, but there are very few brands that would do well on every Social channel. It’s easy for an agency to see this question as the opportunity to upsell their services, but that’s not what’s right for your brand. Social Media channel selection should be strategic, focused on your target audience and business goals.
- How do you develop Social content? Depending on how many conversations you’ve had with an agency, this question should spark a lot of follow up questions. Every piece of content needs a purpose, all stemming from your business goals. If an agency can talk to you about their content development process without asking about your business goals, target audience, customer buying cycle and more, they are probably not the right fit for your brand.
- What do your Social reports look like? Too many brands believe that Social Media successes can’t be tracked. That’s just not true. From likes and followers to how long videos have been viewed and which posts generated the most engagement, there are so many Social stats available, the data can easily be overwhelming. We believe in customizing our Social reports based on each program and a client’s goals. So while no two Social reports from E-Power are exactly the same, they all work to educate the client on program progress and successes as well as what challenges we’re facing and how we’re working to overcome them. Social reports should be a given with any program and you as the brand should be able to understand them and what results are being generated for you.
- Why is your agency the right one for my brand? E-Power has been in this industry since 1998, and it’s safe to say we’ve seen our fair share of agencies come and go through the years. There is no shortage of Social Media professionals doing business today. When you ask an agency this question, you’re asking them to sell themselves and there are specific things you want to hear in their answer. Look for specific examples of success including case studies and testimonials. Ask about their track record and who else they are working with. As you’re listening, ask yourself if you believe them, or if it sounds like the same pitch you heard from the last candidate.
- Do they have experience in your industry? This can be a bit of a trick question because an agency with no previous experience in your industry can still create a really creative and results oriented program for you. There is so much to be learned from every facet of Social Media, that not having previous work in your industry doesn’t mean they don’t have a ton of experience and expertise to apply to your program. That being said, if you are looking to be more hands-off with your Social account, an agency with proven successes for similar businesses can be a huge bonus, as long as they can explain how they differentiate campaigns, content and strategies so you know you’ll be getting the personalized service your brand deserves.
- How often will they be in touch? The right answer to this question is really dependent on how active you want to be in the program. There are some accounts we have that we are talking to the client every day, and some we only have to check in with them a few times a month. This question will help you determine if an agency is really the right fit for your brand.
- How much work is outsourced? The answer to this question will give you a better understanding of how the agency is structured and what level of support you’ll be getting from them. No one likes a bait and switch situation, and we hear stories all too often of brands working with an account lead, only to find out they are doing nothing more than acting as a middle man. If and when you discover an agency outsourcing work to a third party, continue with caution and determine if playing telephone with another service provider is really going to be the best option.
- What do their prices say about quality? With so many agencies competing for your business, it will be easy to find very affordable programs, but be cautious when that price is dirt cheap. The old adage “you get what you pay for” rings true, and when it’s your brand’s reputation on the line, as it is with Social Media, you have to be careful.
Whether you are searching for your first Social Media agency, or looking to replace an agency that just hasn’t performed, it’s important to make an informed decision. For more information on how E-Power’s Social Media programs are run, or to get even more insight on any of the above questions, please contact us! We love to hear from brands looking to improve their Social presence!