To Business Leaders, Entrepreneurs & Management:
This letter is not addressed to the many businesses who aggressively market on search engines. They already know how invaluable search engines are for seizing an advantage by out-marketing their competitors.
This is for those businesses languishing with flat or negative sales growth. You can blame the economy. Instead you should blame yourself for not investing in Search Engine Optimization. If you had, you would see that you were able to make up on the Web what you lost through traditional marketing channels.
eConsultancy’s and SEMPO’s State of Search Marketing Report 2011 stated: “Budget for search engine optimization in 2010 – Just under half of client-side respondents (48%) are now spending either nothing (9%) or less than $25,000 (39%).”
This indicates that close to half of businesses do not recognize how the other half is committed to effectively taking business away from them. Since half of businesses are not committed to SEO, they do not know the sales and lead generation that the Web delivers.
What do you need to do to make a serious commitment to Search Engine Optimization?
1. Recognize the Search Engine Optimization is a long-term effort. You will not receive top search visibility in a week or a month. You will not earn the search visibility you deserve in six months. The longer you wait to start, the longer it will take to deliver the search visibility to catch up with and to beat your competition.
2. You need a serious commitment to making your Website content-rich and interactive. Your Website must go beyond marketing your products and services. Brochureware will only gain limited search visibility, even if your Website is a 200-page brochure.
3. Commit a significant percentage of your marketing and advertising budget to online marketing. Web marketing will return a higher ROI than print, television or radio advertising, and even better than direct mail. Plus Web marketing has stronger tools for measuring results that enable you to optimize the return on investment of your Web marketing budget.
4. Get your team invested in Search Engine Optimization. An SEO firm can give recommendations, but until those changes are made live online, they can’t begin to work. Implementation is vital to SEO success, educating your marketing and IT teams will allow a smoother transition and more effective implementation.
5. Work with professionals. Search Engine Optimization is both an art and a science that specialists dedicate their careers to. Your competitors that are committed to effective SEO are working with specialists. Make sure you are as well.
The longer you wait, the further you fall behind.
Larry Stopa, President
E-Power Marketing Inc.
Phone: 920.303.1244 ext 10