Search engines like Google and Bing aren’t ignoring social media, nor are your competitors. In fact, search engines are using social media sites to improve their search results. Brands all over the world are turning to social media to enhance their online presence, and for good reason. You can use social media along with your current search marketing campaign to increase your online presence and rise above the competition.
SEO – The Building Blocks of Success
Companies need to start looking at social media as an extension of their Website and brand. Without a solid, well optimized Website, your social media presence will not reach its full potential. A valuable, effective social media account will be based on a foundation of quality content, an optimized Website, a dedicated team of qualified employees and an integrated marketing plan. A solid SEO campaign will optimize your Website for both search engines and potential customers. Once you have a strong Website, you can start looking for more opportunities to grow your online presence. Don’t get caught up in the social media marketing buzz and forget about the SEO basics.
Social Media – The Next Step in Visibility
Search engines are taking social media sites into account when determining a brand’s search visibility. Obviously social media isn’t the only key to success on the search engines, but it is an important one. Social media has changed the way consumers are using the Internet, and search engines are taking notice. Here are some of the ways search engines are using social media to determine search visibility:
- Popularity – Is your brand found on a variety of Websites? Are influential social media users talking about your company? Are links to your Website being passed around the Web?
- Relevance – Are you consistent in your messaging and use of keywords? The more relevant you appear for certain keywords across your online presence, the better off you are.
- Link Building – Are people using social media to save or send links to your Website? How many different domains have links to your Website on them? Facebook? Twitter? LinkedIn? Niche social communities? The more quality social media sites that have links to your Website, the better.
- Authoritative Users – Search engines recognize the authoritative users on the different social media sites. More weight is placed on links and content coming from credible users. Quality is better than quantity on social media.
- Keywords – Take the SEO lessons you learned while optimizing your Website and carry those through to your social media account. Search engines are paying attention. Make sure you are too.
Make the Most of Both SEO and SMM
Search engines are paying attention to both SEO and SMM, and you should too. You won’t win top search visibility without implementing both Search Engine Optimization AND Social Media Marketing. These two techniques can and should work together to help your brand achieve its full potential online. Don’t limit your online visibility by ignoring one of these practices, get started putting them both to work for you today!