Through the years, link building has been a hot topic in the Online Marketing industry. Everything has been a debate, the what, where, why and how. Google’s algorithm updates have rendered tactics like link dumping and linking schemes obsolete. While they may cause an increase in search visibility or traffic in the short term, those benefits will not last and websites could end up being penalized. This type of link building has never been implemented by E-Power Marketing, for the very reasons Google has taken action against these schemes. Link Building can and should be focused on quality content, websites and relationships.
Though tactics have remained controversial, the fact remains that quality links pointing to a website are invaluable when it comes to Online Marketing success. Here are seven avenues E-Power Marketing uses to build links for our clients:
- Social Media – Channels like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn offer a wealth of opportunities for link building. Whether we’re linking to a client’s website on their Social Media channels, or we’ve created informative content or a notable infographic that has gone viral and other people are sharing their links, Social Media channels provide a lot of opportunities for us.
- Local Listings – Services like Google Maps, Yahoo Local and Merchant Circle provides businesses the opportunity to claim and optimize free listings. At E-Power, we use these listings for a variety of reasons, from establishing a local search presence, to earning more real estate for clients on the SERPs to creating quality, free links for our clients.
- Industry relationships – We often tell our clients to use their contacts, just ask for links from partners or clients. We explain these link building opportunities as the chance to build an online network of our client’s offline contacts.
- Quality Directories – The E-Power Link Building team reviews a variety of popular and niche industry directories for our clients’ link building campaigns. We research the quality of these sites to make sure they are relevant and will be beneficial to our clients before adding the links. Finding niche industry directories for our clients can be time consuming, but the research is often worth the time.
- Guest Blogging – This is a great way to build links, though this may take some time. Guest Blogging puts us more in control of our client’s links, and we can build online buzz with some exciting, thought-provoking content. Guest Blogging is a great way for us to establish our clients as an industry leader and resource while building quality links.
- Reverse Engineering – A solid link building plan often starts with competitive research. Where are our client’s competitors getting their links from? While this can be a difficult project to undertake, it’s a valuable one. For smaller clients, this is a great way to follow in the footsteps of the industry leaders’ and for brands of all sizes, this research allows us to understand the link building methods others are using and put them to work for our clients.
- Social Bookmarking – Building quality links from Social Bookmarking sites like StumbleUpon, Google Bookmarks and Delicious are advantageous. These sites are well established and provide great opportunities to build links to our client’s best content.
Though it may seem straight forward, link building can be time consuming and complex. The Link Building Team at E-Power Marketing understands the importance of this initiative in terms of overall online success as well as how to make it work for brands of all sizes. What successes and challenges have you met while building links for your company? Share in the comments below, on our Facebook wall or let us know on Twitter!