In my previous post I discussed how to Set Up Goals in Google Analytics. As some of you may know, a Google Analytics account only allows you to setup up 20 goals. Well what if you need to measure more than 20 goals? The answer is to add more views in your Google Analytics property, and the set up is quite simple. Google Analytics now allows you to have up to 50 views per property; meaning, you can now measure up to 1,000 distinct goals using the original Google Analytics code that was installed on your site!
Before you get started, the steps laid out below will be most useful if you haven’t created goals in your current view yet (let’s say you’re setting up a new Google Analytics account). When you copy a view, you are copying over your filters, goals, and users (with the permissions they have). There is no way to copy a view without also copying these items. If you have already created goals in your view, we will explain that as well.
Steps to Setting Up Additional Views
1. Once logged into Google Analytics, navigate to the View Settings under Admin.
2. To add a new view, select “Create new view” from the drop down menu. If you want to copy the current view to preserve filters and other settings, select “Copy View”.
3. Name your new view. It helps to name the view for the type of goals you are measuring. Example – E-Power Marketing Newsletter Signups.
4. You have now set up a new view under your original property allowing you to track up to 20 more goals! Now all you need to do is set up Google Analytics Goals if you haven’t already.
Now, if you already have Google Analytics goals in the view you are copying, you can do one of two things.
- First, go ahead and copy the view so that your goals are copied. Now that you are in your new view, edit each goal’s name, goal description, etc. to match the new goal you are trying to track.
- If that isn’t what you want to do, then you can create your view from scratch, but keep in mind that the filters and user permissions you have in place will need to be added to this view since it is brand new.
We hope that this was helpful! There are a few ways to accomplish your goal of measuring more than 20 goals in Google Analytics. If you’re still having trouble, feel free to reach out to our team!